AS220 Communications DirectorSubmitted by AS220 on May 18, 2012 - 11:17am.
About AS220: AS220 is a community of artists in downtown Providence that provides open forums and opportunities to Rhode Island artists. AS220 provides an alternative to traditional presenting venues and has gained widespread attention for its commitment to an "open and unjuried", egalitarian approach to nurturing creative community.
The activities of AS220 include, but are not limited to, around a dozen events each week at our performance space, monthly gallery exhibits, signature annual events, like Foo Fest, AS220 Youth, a free arts program for youth 14-21, and AS220's Cottage Industries: a Darkroom/Digital Photo Lab, a Printshop, and a Electronics and Fab(rication) Lab. Recently AS220 launched 95 Empire, adding a black box theatre and dance studio, and a theatre arts school to it's pursuits. AS220 owns and operates three buildings in downtown Providence, housing approximately 50 artists as well as commercial and non-profit tenants, providing individual and collaborative work spaces, galleries, venues for performances and exhibitions, and a bar and restaurant under the banner of AS220. The FY2012 operating budget of AS220 and related for-profit entities is $2.8 million.
AS220's Communications Director is responsible for collaborating and/or directing the development and delivery of all activities associated with public relations, marketing, outreach and external communications. This position works alongside other AS220 staff members publicizing programs, events, and organizational initiatives; communicating with current and potential users, supporters, and representatives of the media in a way that distinguishes AS220's public voice as a unique entity.
The Communications Director should facilitate a shared leadership model that supports and mentors program leaders in communicating effectively to meet their their individual program goals while directing the position's human and financial resources according to top-level organizational priorities.
Key areas of responsibilities include - but are not limited to:
- Create, periodically update, and execute a short and long range communications plan that supports the organization's top-level priorities as well as the needs of individual program leaders.
- Develop and maintain relationships with strategic local, national, and international media outlets.
- Meet regularly with program leaders to stay current with their communication initiatives and needs.
- Evaluate best practice for use of social media and emergent technology in the communications field and provide guidance and/or training to program staff.
- Develop policy and procedure for archiving AS220 press, promo materials and internal documents.
- Collaborate with IT Director on the evaluation and implementation of tools and systems to improve user experience and streamline AS220's communications efforts.
- Mentor staff and identify trainings or demos related to communications and marketing that will build needed skills; conduct workshops or engage volunteers in workshops.
- Interpret and respond to website, email, and 3rd party identity site analytics
- Work in collaboration with administrative staff and program leaders to strategize and produce, oversee, or approve all online or in-print content about AS220.
- Research opportunities for relevant publicity to promote and broaden AS220's visibility.
- Update website content and collaborate with IT Director on web site design and development as needed.
- Compose and/or edit drafts of promotional text. Review materials created by program staff: the Cottage Industries, Development materials, etc.
- Participate in all AS220 visual branding efforts. Provide art direction or design for online and print materials, weekly ads, monthly calendar, merchandise, signage, etc.
- Support administrative staff and program leaders in representing AS220 in their communications with the media, off-site presentations, and outreach efforts. Develop speaking points for public appearances.
- Oversee, maintain, and respond to user's on AS220's social networking and third party identity sites including (but not limited to): Myspace, Twitter accounts, Facebook profiles, pages and groups, Yelp profiles, Happy Cow listing, Youtube channel, Flikr, and Google profile.
- Maintain and develop segmented email and mailing lists, helping program's in their base-building efforts.
- Create AS220 newsletters for 4,000+ email list subscribers and co-create newsletter and web content for a variety of target audiences.
- Work with the Development Office to strategically call media attention to AS220's fund raising initiatives and with organizing staff in promoting key events.
- Work collaboratively with the other members of the Foo Fest planning team. Develop sponsorship and event materials, merchandise, promotional pieces, radio spots, website, and visual identity for AS220's signature annual event.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- Management experience and/or the skills to lead and mentor a team of 12-20
- Very strong writing skills and a love of the craft
- Experience with not-for-profit and/or arts-related publicity
- Local, national, and international press contacts and relationships
- Experience meeting deadline, prioritizing and re-prioritizing
- Strong interpersonal communication, networking, and organizational skills
- Willingness to serve as a mentor to a young person working with AS220 Youth and engage with volunteers from the larger community
- Boundless energy and near immunity to stress
- A passion for art
The Communications Director position is a full time salaried position.
AS220 has an equal pay policy; all full time administrative staff (including the Artistic Director and the Managing Director) are paid a $35,360 annual salary with benefits, including health care, generous and flexible paid time off, and opportunities for professional development.
To respond to a posting, send your resume and other relevant materials to:
AS220 Attn: Jobs
95 Mathewson St, Unit #204
Providence, RI 02903
OR fax it to 401-454-7445
OR email firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Prospective candidates should spend some time familiarizing themselves with the organization (via as220.org or other means) before applying.
Apply by Monday, May 28th 2012 to be considered for the position