AS220 IT DirectorSubmitted by AS220 on May 18, 2012 - 10:55am.
About AS220: The activities of AS220 include, but are not limited to, around a dozen events each week at our performance space, monthly gallery exhibits, signature annual events, like Foo Fest, AS220 Youth, a free arts program for youth 14-21, and AS220's Cottage Industries: a Darkroom/Digital Photo Lab, a Printshop, and a Electronics and Fab(rication) Lab. Recently AS220 launched 95 Empire, adding a black box theatre and dance studio, and a theatre arts school to it's pursuits. AS220 owns and operates three buildings in downtown Providence, housing approximately 50 artists as well as commercial and non-profit tenants, providing individual and collaborative work spaces, galleries, venues for performances and exhibitions, and a bar and restaurant under the banner of AS220. The FY2012 operating budget of AS220 and related for-profit entities is $2.8 million.
The IT Director is responsible for providing computer support for all of AS220's staff and programs. The IT Director develops and maintains existing infrastructure and implements new systems as technology develops. The IT Director also works closely with the Communications Director, AS220 Labs and Media Arts Staff, and the AS220 Youth Media & Technology Coordinator to maintain and setup new and current systems. Key areas of responsibilities include - but are not limited to:
Maintenance of AS220's Basic Physical Devices
- Desktop support: Must understand and be able to troubleshoot and support Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems.
- Hardware support: Must understand and exhibit the ability to troubleshoot, repair, and build PCs.
- Must understand basic network principles, and be able to maintain a network, and sub-networks.
- We have machines running operating systems: Linux, Mac OSX, and Microsoft Windows. Should be able to install and maintain machines running these operating systems in a networked environment.
Maintenance of AS220's Fab Lab Equipment
- Epilog Helix Mini 24" x 12" laser cutter
- MDX-20 milling machine
- Roland Camm-1 Vinyl cutter and sign-making equipment
- Computers (Linux and Mac OS X) for "fab" support
- Computers for programming workshops
- Video projector for instruction
- Prototype PCB fabrication tools (drill press, shear, etc.)
- Small-scale machining tools
- Hand tools
- Electronics assembly and testing tools
- Capability to generally administer a GNU/Linux machine including patching the operating system for security issues, monitoring file system usage of the various users, create accounts, audit user activity and file system permissions, install software, etc... Ability to administer the Apache web server including creating virtual hosts, enabling modules, configuring the software.
- We utilize multiple MySQL databases operating as either backends for hosted websites or as standalone databases. Knowledge of SQL is a requirement as well as being able to understand and maintain relational databases.
- Being able to transfer files to & from the server utilizing scp/sftp/rsync. Deploy existing scripting solutions or roll out solutions specific to the circumstances are critical towards this requirement. Utilization of BASH scripting to automate backup processes between Linux machines.
- Being able to audit the logs and detect/repair problems is a necessary skill.
Physical Plant Systems
- Work closely with property management and sub-contractors to maintain all IP enabled systems, and entrance systems.
Administration and Record Keeping
- Maintain inventory of hardware and software.
- Develop a request form to manage broken equipment & to communicate with staff about the progress of broken equipment.
- Have the people skills necessary to work with staff, solve problems, coach through computer issues, participate in meetings etc.
- Be able to articulate a passionate understanding of the AS220 mission.
The IT Director is a full time salaried position.
AS220 has an equal pay policy; all full time administrative staff (including the Artistic Director and the Managing Director) are paid $17 an hour or $35,360 salary per year with benefits, including health care, generous and flexible paid time off, and opportunities for professional development.
To respond to a posting, send your resume and other relevant materials to:
AS220 Attn: Jobs
95 Mathewson St, Unit #204
Providence, RI 02903
OR fax it to 401-454-7445
OR email firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Prospective candidates should spend some time familiarizing themselves with the organization (via as220.org or other means) before applying.
Apply by Monday, May 28th 2012 to be considered